West Coast Alliance Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Optimization of Military Cities

Go down

Optimization of Military Cities Empty Optimization of Military Cities

Post  Notesalot Mon May 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Problem: Building slot restricitions limit the number of military buildings per city, which forces us to select a few unit types each military city specializes in. However, no combat unit can exceed a production time of 10 seconds, so we need a way to figure out how many of each production building (training grounds, stables, etc.) to build in order to save building space yet maximize the production speed.

I'll be updating the post as I calculate the other unit types. Here's Infantry and Calvary for now!

Pacifism posted these numbers. Thanks for the calculations man Smile :
UnitUnit TypeProduction Speed
CityguardN/A500%
BerserkerInfantry2000%
RangerInfantry2500%
GuardianInfantry3000%
ScoutCalvary4000%
CrossbowmanCalvary6000%
KnightCalvary5000%
MageCaster7000%
WarlockCaster15000%
TemplarBlessed3500%
PaladinBlessed7000%
BaronBlessed600000%
RamSiege25000%
BallistaSiege35000%
CatapultSiege40000%
SloopShip300000%
FrigateShip600000%
War GalleonShip1200000%

This figures include the 100% production speed that each unit starts with, for example to maximize Bezerkers you would be adding 1900% speed with Training Grounds to the 100% to equal 2000%.
For simplicity, the terms "boosted" and "unboosted" refer to the production speed bonus that production buildings receive when situated next to a Barracks.

Maximizing Bezerkers
Spoiler:

Maximizing Rangers
Spoiler:

Maximizing Guardians
Spoiler:

Maximizing Scouts
Spoiler:

Maximizing Crossbowmen
Spoiler:

Maximizing Knights
Spoiler:

Notesalot
Emperor

Back to top Go down

Optimization of Military Cities Empty Re: Optimization of Military Cities

Post  Guest Mon May 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Is this really the best setup?

Clearly you want to minimize the number of training grounds while maximizing the number of barracks (to maximize army size) while still achieving 10 second production.

I don't have any city design tools, but just messing around with a spreadsheet it seems to me that a series of nodes of 1 training ground completely surrounded by 8 Barracks is best. Each such node should give you +350% I believe, and 6 of them would give you +2100%. Overlap them (only one row of barracks between each training ground) to squeeze them into the city center, possibly making do with a couple of 7-Barracks nodes due to the unfortunate placement of the Townhall.

I think you can get +2100% with just 6 Training Grounds and 35 Barracks arranged in nodes around the Townhall.

Back to top Go down

Post  Notesalot Mon May 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Hattusilis wrote:
Clearly you want to minimize the number of training grounds while maximizing the number of barracks (to maximize army size) while still achieving 10 second production.

Yeah, I should've cleared that up. These are just examples to demonstrate the idea of maximizing production times and they are not the best setup if your city is solely focused on producing that one unit. Your layout that you described does this and would be a perfect Bezerker farm.

And you can find the city design tool in the "external tools" thread. It is flash based so you don't need to download anything.

Notesalot
Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Lolz Notes. Man u really got ahead of me now. Well... saves me a ton of work Razz Thanks.

@ Hattusilis: I have previously posted a link to the Lord of Ultima City Planner. You should be able to download it here. Unless you have a Mac, in which case you need an emulator.

Back to top Go down

Post  Notesalot Tue May 25, 2010 8:38 pm

What do you think of this layout? I'm trying to make a self-sufficient (in terms of food ONLY) military city that gets close to optimizing all types of both Infantry and Calvary.

Optimization of Military Cities Pictur18

At 2925% Infantry production, it gets close to maximizing Guardians, which require 3000%. At 5325% Calvary production, it also gets close to maximizing Crossbow men, which are the most time-consuming Calvary at 6000%. I am a little concerned with the low army size, topping out at 160k TS. However, it does produce plenty of food to eliminate the need for constant trading.

Notesalot
Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Just made up this quick food calculator cause I got fed up with the wiki telling how much food the units need in days but production is in hours.

Food Calculator

So now you can even work out how many farms u will need in your military cities Very Happy

Last edited by Pacifism on Fri May 28, 2010 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 am

OMG Kryllik made a shocking discovery today when his production time for his zerks went down to 9 secs/berserker. Time to replan those layouts Notes. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Pacifism on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : got Kryllik's name wrong :-P)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 28, 2010 11:14 am

Just hit 0:08 on my Berserkers.
:10 Rangers
:12 Guardians

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 28, 2010 2:30 pm

What exactly is the discovery?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 28, 2010 9:24 pm

It was my understanding that 10 seconds was the minimum recruit time (much as it is the minimum build time).

The shocking discovery is that this does not appear to be the case.

This will obviously influence the design of military cities.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum